Make a representation
Do you believe there are reasonable grounds for cancelling your ticket? You may submit a representation (i.e. a sworn statement) indicating why you should not be held liable for the penalty payable in terms of the Infringement Notice. The RTIA will forward such Representations to an independent Representations Officer for consideration.
The Representations Officer will:
- duly consider the Representation;
- may conduct an independent investigation to verify facts;
- may allow the Representation, if there are reasonable grounds indicating why the infringer should not be held liable for the penalty; or
- may reject the Representation if no reasonable grounds for allowance could be found.
A Representation is either allowed or rejected:
- If the Representation is allowed by the Representations Officer, the RTIA will cancel the Infringement Notice and inform you of the decision.
- If the Representation is rejected the Representations Officer will provide reasons for the decision.
- The RTIA will notify you of the decision/s of the Representations Officer on from AARTO 09.
Upon receipt of the decision you have the following options:
- you may elect to be tried in court (even if not recommended by the Representations Officer); or
- you have to pay the penalty in full, plus the prescribed fee for the Representation plus the prescribed fee for the Courtesy Letter, if any, within 32 days; or
- you can apply for payment of the penalty in instalments within 32 days.
Use the service below to exercise the option and to complete the forms.